Mediterranean style chicken casserole with olives
This light, dairy free Mediterranean chicken recipe has a burst of fresh zingy lemon through the flavoursome spices and olives. It’s simple to make and great to share with family and friends.
SERVES: 4-6 PREP TIME: 20 mins (+ 2 hours in fridge) COOK TIME: 60-80mins
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 dessert spoon ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon ground turmeric
- ½-1 teaspoon chilli powder, to taste
- 6-8 boneless chicken thighs, skin removed
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- Juice of ½ a lemon
- 1½ tablespoons olive oil
- 250ml boiling water or gluten and yeast free stock.
- ½ fresh lemon, cut into quarters
- 100g kalamata olives, rinsed, pitted and loosely chopped
- 2 tablespoons fresh coriander, loosely chopped
- In a plastic bag add the pepper, coriander, turmeric and chilli powder; place the chicken inside and gently roll until all the pieces are well coated.
- Place the coated chicken pieces into a casserole dish and add the onion, crushed garlic, lemon juice and olive oil. Cover and place in the fridge for a minimum of 2 hours.
- When ready to cook, pre-heat the oven to 170oC.
- Add the water/stock, chopped lemon and olives to the casserole.
- Place in the oven and cook for 60 minutes or until the chicken is cooked through.
- Sprinkle over the fresh coriander and serve.
- Serve with fresh green vegetables or a salad
- The more you make this recipe the more fun you can have mixing up the spices you use
- Any left over juices can be whizzed up as a nourishing soup for the next day