This home roasted and ground almond butter is simple to prepare, tastes delicious and you can make as much or as little as you like.
SERVES: 6 PREP TIME: 5 mins 20 mins cooling time COOK TIME: 20-30 mins
- 250g almond kernels
- 3 tablespoons olive or sunflower oil
- Pre-heat oven to 170˚C.
- Lay the nuts out on a baking tray and roast for 20-30 minutes, stirring occasionally making sure they don’t burn.
- Once cooled, place the nuts in a food processor and blend until you have the consistency you would like for your nut butter – crunchy or smooth.
- Add olive or sunflower oil and blend for a few seconds until both ingredients are well combined.
- Store in an airtight container in a cool cupboard for up to 6 days.
Inspiration and top tips
- Try different nuts or even mix a combination; walnuts, pecans and hazelnuts work well
- Nut butter can be used as a spread, it combines well with muffin and smoothie ingredients and can even be used as a topping for morning muesli
- By adding some chilli oil and dried chilli flakes you can turn your nut butter into a satay style dip