This pesto recipe is a spicy take on the traditional Italian version; a healthy dairy and gluten free alternative that does not compromise on flavor.
SERVING SIZE: 1 medium sized jar PREP TIME: 10 mins COOK TIME: N/A
- 125g fresh basil leaves, washed and dried
- 1 cup pine nuts, toasted
- ½ red chilli, seeds removed
- 3 cloves garlic, chopped
- 100ml extra virgin olive oil
- 3 teaspoons lemon juice, freshly squeezed
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- Place all the ingredients into a blender.
- Process until smooth.
- Use immediately or store in an airtight container and refrigerate. If you are storing it, a thin layer of olive oil on top keeps it extra airtight and preserves the vibrancy of the colours.
- Serve as an accompaniment to meat, fish, vegetables or on crackers
- Vary it up by using different nuts and seeds or a combination (roasted pumpkin seeds and macadamia nuts work really well)
- The flavours of this pesto intensify over days and it can be stored for up to 2 weeks in the fridge.