This colourful fresh turmeric root paste is delightfully versatile and nutritious. It’s great for basting or for cheering up a plain stir fry and if you add more olive oil you can turn it into a tasty salad dressing.
- 100g fresh turmeric
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 fresh chilli, de-seeded (red or green)
- Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 6 spring onions, washed, trimmed and cut into pieces
- ¼ cup toasted sesame seeds
- ½ cup olive oil
- Place all of the ingredients in a food processor or blender and blend until smooth.
- Store in an airtight container for up to 4 days in the fridge.
Inspirations and top tips
- Fresh turmeric is best for the health properties but if you can’t find fresh you can use 4 teaspoons of turmeric powder
- Wear gloves when preparing the turmeric to avoid yellow hands
- To add a twist, use a few fresh herbs; coriander and parsley work really well
- Turmeric is known for its anti-inflammatory and anti-oxidant properties