Basil and tahini dressing
Creamy and nutritious, this dairy free tahini and basil dressing is a strong complement for many salads and offers a great alternative source of calcium from the sesame seeds.
SERVES: Salad for 12 PREP TIME: 6 mins COOK TIME: na
- 20 fresh basil leaves
- 200 grams tahini
- 1 cup water
- ½ teaspoon runny honey (optional)
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Juice and zest 1 unwaxed lemon
- Handful of alfalfa sprouts (optional)
- Set aside 3 or 4 small basil leaves for garnishing, then slice the remainder.
- Using a hand held blender, blend the tahini, sliced basil leaves, water, honey, pepper, lemon juice and most of the zest until smooth. You may need to add more water depending on the thickness of your tahini and your consistency preference.
- Serve in a jug or bowl topped with the basil leaves, alfalfa and remaining lemon zest.
- Store in an airtight container for up to one week in the fridge.
- Serve at room temperature to bring the full flavours out.
- Develop this dressing to suit your tastes. How about adding some fresh chopped chilli if you can feel a cold coming on?
- Can play around with garnishes to suit what feels right for you.
- If you don’t have sweet things in your diet, this works well without the honey.