Warm gluten free quinoa and avocado salad
Super high in protein and rich in fibre this yummy gluten free quinoa dish is perfect on its own or served with a piece of grilled fish or meat.
SERVES: 4 PREP TIME: 15 mins COOK TIME: 40 mins
- 1 cup red or white quinoa
- 1 cup water, just boiled
- 50 grams whole skin on almonds
- 50 grams sunflower or pumpkin seeds
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 large ripe avocados
- 200 grams spinach, finely sliced
- 8 large mint leaves, finely sliced
- Juice ½ unwaxed lemon
- Freshly ground black pepper to taste
- Rinse the quinoa under cold water, then put it into a pan with the just-boiled water.
- Cover with a lid and cook for approximately 25 minutes, until the water is almost fully absorbed. Set aside to cool with the saucepan lid off.
- Whilst the quinoa is cooking on another element preheat a dry frying pan on a medium heat and toast the almonds in a pan until just turning golden brown.
- Set aside and repeat with the seeds. Once the almonds are cool enough to handle chop them coarsely and add to the seeds.
- Preheat the oil in a frying or griddle pan over a medium high heat.
- Cut the avocados into slices approximately 5mm wide and fry or griddle them for 2-3 minutes each side, until they are beginning to brown. Set aside on some kitchen towel to drain excess oil.
- Tip the quinoa into a mixing bowl and add the spinach, mint, lemon juice, toasted almonds and seeds and mix well.
- You are now ready to serve the quinoa in a bowl or plate, topped with the warm avocado slices and black pepper.
- You can cook the quinoa and toast the almonds a few hours ahead.
- Have fun with garnishing - alfalfa sprouts or fresh red chilli strips work well.
- Delicious with a spoonful of basil and tahini dressing.
- A great alternative to potato if you are not feeling ‘potatoey’!