A deliciously simple dairy free pumpkin soup. Can be served with crushed macadamias to make it a more substantial meal or on its own as a nurturing meal at any time of the day.
- 5 ½ cups (1kg) pumpkin - remove seeds, peeled and chopped
- 2 tablespoons oil (e.g. olive oil or other vegetable oil)
- 1 red onion, chopped
- 4 cups (1 litre) water or stock (chicken stock)
- ¾ cup (190ml) dairy-free milk (optional)
- handful fresh basil, finely chopped
- black pepper, as desired
- Pre-heat oven to 180°C.
- Peel and chop pumpkin.
- Place pumpkin on a lightly oiled baking tray and bake until soft.
- In a large saucepan, sauté onion in the oil until translucent.
- Add pumpkin and water or Chicken stock and cook for 20 minutes.
- Process in a blender until smooth.
- Stir in dairy-free milk if you are using it.
- Serve topped with fresh basil.
Try a garnish of crushed macadamias or homemade Dukkah
Also delicious alongside your favourite Dairy free basil pesto
Read more here on Dairy free eating.