Simple salt and yeast free vegetable and herb stock
A simple nourishing vegetable stock that can be used as a base for many dishes including broths, soups, stews and casseroles.
SERVES: Approximately 1½ litres PREP TIME: 5 mins COOK TIME: 60 mins
- 8 spring onions, chopped
- 4 cloves of garlic, sliced or crushed
- 2 green chillies, de-seeded and chopped
- 2 sticks celery, chopped
- 1 carrot, chopped
- 2 bay leaves
- 4 sprigs fresh thyme
- 4 sprigs fresh rosemary
- 12 whole black peppercorns
- ½ bunch fresh parsley
- 2 litres cold water
- Place all the ingredients in a large saucepan, cover with the water and bring to the boil.
- Reduce heat and simmer for 40 minutes to an hour.
- Remove from heat and strain. Discard vegetables and herbs.
- Allow to cool.
- Use as a base for soups, casseroles, gravy, curries… the opportunities are endless.
- Keep in an airtight container for up to a week or freeze.
- Use other vegetables (fennel works well) or get adventurous with seaweed (kombu works well)
- Adjust flavours to your taste… add more chillies or lemongrass for a more exotic experience
- The longer you simmer it for, the more it will reduce in volume and the more intense the flavours will become