Green beans with sesame seeds
A super simple dairy free side of greens that will complement any meal – the sesame seeds provide a great source of cholesterol lowering phytosterols, calcium, iron, fibre and magnesium – nutritious and delicious!
- 400g green beans, with the stalks trimmed off
- ¼ cup toasted sesame seeds
- 20mls olive oil
- Fresh ground pepper, to taste
- Bring 1.5 litres of water to the boil in a large saucepan.
- Once boiling, add the green beans, bring back to the boil and then turn down to a medium heat.
- Cook for another 2 minutes (this is really down to taste and how al dente you like your vegetables) – maybe taste after 1 minute.
- Drain and toss into a bowl with the sesame seeds, oil and pepper.
- Serve immediately or at room temperature
- You can steam the beans if you prefer
- Also very lovely if you pan fry the beans and add a little garlic
- If you can feel a cold coming on, or winter is on its way, add some sliced fresh red chilli to warm you from the inside out
- For a bit of variety use different seeds and/or nuts