Spicy broccoli rice
A nutritious alternative to rice, this broccoli rice is blended with asian flavours and is simply delicious. You’ll be surprised how versatile and popular it is!
SERVES: 4 PREP TIME: 10 mins COOK TIME: 40 -45 mins
- 2 medium-sized heads broccoli
- 8 spring onions, loosely sliced
- 1 fresh green chilli, finely chopped
- 5 kaffir lime leaves, stalks removed and loosely chopped
- ¼ cup olive oil
- Fresh ground pepper, to taste
- 1 cup flat leaf parsley, loosely chopped
- Pre-heat oven to 180˚C
- Remove the stalks from the broccoli and cut the heads into medium florets.
- Place the broccoli in a food processor and blend until it is a fine rice-like consistency.
- Add the spring onions, chilli, kaffir lime leaves, olive oil and pepper then blend until it is all mixed through.
- Pour out onto a roasting tray, place in the oven and bake for approximately 45 minutes, stirring regularly (every 10 minutes or so) to prevent the broccoli burning.
- While the broccoli is baking, wash and loosely chop the flat leaf parsley.
- Once cooked it should be light and fluffy and you can gently mix through the parsley.
- Serve immediately or let it cool and serve as a salad option.
- Adding turmeric will give an extra nutritional boost
- Adapt the recipe with alternative spices - cumin and coriander seeds work really well
- Try fresh coriander instead of flat leaf parsley for a more asian twist
- Experiment with different types and quantities of chilli to provide your preferred heat