Making your own spice mix is fun and smells great too! Try this Garam Masala recipe out and enjoy making gluten free curries, using as a marinade for Roast Chicken, adding to Pumpkin Soup or Chicken Pancakes, the possibilities are endless!
PREP TIME: 40 mins
COOK TIME: 40 mins
- 2 star anise
- 3 red chillies, dried (adjust to desired heat)
- 2 teaspoons peppercorns
- ½ level teaspoon cardamom seeds (if you can’t buy pure cardamom seeds then cut open 8 whole pods of cardamom and scrape out the seeds)
- 2 sprigs curry leaves (2 handfuls if dried)
- 2 teaspoons fennel seeds
- 2 teaspoons cumin seeds
- 1 teaspoon cloves
- Place a large frying pan over a medium high heat.
- Select the largest sized ingredient and place into the pan and heat until aromatic.
- Then add the next sized ingredient repeating the process until the last ingredient is in the pan.
- Continue to heat the ingredients until they are gently smoking.
- Remove from heat and place into a spice grinder when cooled.
- Grind until the ingredients are a fine powder.
- Label and store in a glass jar or airtight container until needed.