A great weekend pyjama breakfast for the whole family, in which you can use fresh ingredients or your weekly left-overs. Anything goes and no two ‘cowboy beans’ will ever be the same.
SERVES: 4 PREP TIME: 10 mins COOK TIME: 20-30 mins
- 6 tablespoons olive oil
- 8 sausages of your choice
- 1 tin chickpeas
- 2 bunches spring onions
- 1 or 2 broccoli heads, finely chopped
- Approximately ½ packet green beans
- 1 fennel bulb, finely sliced
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 tin of beans of your choice i.e. cannellini beans, black beans
- 1 tin tomatoes
- Fry the sausages in 2 tablespoons of olive oil, turning occasionally until cooked and browning.
- In a separate pan with 4 tablespoons of olive oil, fry the chick peas until crispy, add the spring onions and fry for a few minutes.
- Add the vegetables and stir well, cooking for a further 5 minutes, until the vegetables are softening.
- Add the turmeric and stir in.
- Allow to fry and bubble for about 5 minutes until you have a gooey, caramelised mixture. Then add the tin beans and tomatoes and stir again.
- Chop the cooked sausages into small chunks and add them to the pot.
- Pour a little boiling water in the now cooled sausage frypan and stir to make some ‘gravy’ with the juices and add to the mix to add extra flavour.
Inspirations and top tips
- Use whatever leftover vegetables you have in the fridge
- Replace sausages with tuna, salmon or any leftover meat
- Add any herbs and spices to your liking – thyme, rosemary and cumin work well