Dates filled with orange nut crème
A mouthful of delicate sweet flavours with a bursting pop of the pomegranate, these dates are beautifully complemented with the orange nut cream. Serve as a canapé, take along to a picnic or on a sharing platter as a dairy free and refined sugar free alternative.
- ½ cup dry roasted pecans
- ½ cup dry roasted hazelnuts
- ½ cup dry roasted cashews
- ½ cup raw cashews
- Juice of 1 orange
- Zest of ½ an orange
- 1 teaspoon vanilla powder (or extract)
- ½ cup water
- 18 plump, pitted medjool dates, halved lengthways
- Pomegranate seeds to garnish
- Place all the nuts in a blender and blend until they are fine and well combined.
- Add the orange juice, ¾ of the zest, vanilla powder and water and blend again until the mixture is bound and firm.
- Take ¾ of a teaspoon of the nut mixture and with two teaspoons quenelle* into shape; place each quenelle firmly into a halved date.
- Garnish each date with pomegranate seeds and sprinkle the remaining orange zest over the top.
*Quenelle method: Take a scoop of the nut mixture in one spoon and with the other teaspoon facing the nut mixture lengthways, slide and transfer the mixture into the other spoon. Repeat until you have a clear oval shape.
- Fun to present on a central plate for people to share
- Making these could be a great kids party activity – lots of mess and no cooking
- Also try using different combinations of nuts