This simple hummus recipe is quick and versatile – a family favourite. Delicious as an entrée or as an accompaniment to any main meal. Using tahini (made from sesame seeds) it’s a great source of calcium. Perfect for kids as an after school dipping snack ready to go with cucumber and carrot sticks.
- 425g chickpeas – canned or freshly soaked and cooked
- 2 cloves garlic
- ⅓ cup (75ml) hulled tahini
- ½ lemon, juiced
- ¼ cup (65ml) olive oil or water
- paprika to garnish
- Strain chickpeas (rinse thoroughly if canned to reduce the salt content).
- Puree all ingredients in a blender.
- Add oil or water gradually until a desired smooth consistency is reached.
Serve in a bowl garnished with a splash of olive oil and pinch of paprika with a sprig of parsley on top.
- Add fresh coriander and chilli, and use lime instead of lemon juice.
- Add 200g roasted pumpkin.
- Serve the hummus with felafels and salad or with lamb dishes.
- Spread it on nori as a great basis for a lunchtime wrap.
Are you entertaining? Why not offer a selection of homemade dips with fresh vegetable sticks such as this dairy free pesto and the delicious beetroot dip. This also makes a great after-school snack or lunchbox idea.
Gluten free | Dairy free | Yeast free | Sugar free | Egg free | Soy free | Vegan | Vegetarian