This beetroot dip recipe is easy, simple and versatile. It’s a dairy free recipe you can use as an entrée or as an accompaniment to any main meal. It’s also a great healthy snack idea.
- 1¾ cup (200g) cashews (walnuts, macadamias)
- 400g beetroot (2 medium)
- 1 handful basil
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- Pre heat oven to 180°C.
- Wash the beetroot.
- Place the beetroot on a large piece of foil and drizzle with olive oil.
- Wrap the beetroot in the foil and bake at 180°C for 1 hour. It is cooked when slightly soft to the touch or you can slide a sharp knife through easily.
- After the beetroot is cooked, chop it into chunks and place in a blender.
- Add all other ingredients and blend until smooth.
- Turn mix into a small serving bowl, cool in fridge, then garnish with a sprig of parsley or mint and serve.
- Serve as an accompaniment to Chicken pancakes.
This recipe also works without nuts; leave them out of the recipe and increase the beetroot quantity by 200g. Add 2 teaspoons of cumin seeds, half a handful of extra basil and juice from 1 lemon.