This versatile spicy satay sauce recipe is a tasty addition to any meat, fish or vegetable dish.
- 1 cup tahini
- 5 heaped tablespoons almonds
- ½ teaspoon tamarind paste
- ½ lemon, juiced
- ½ teaspoon honey
- ½ tablespoon olive oil
- black pepper, to taste
- chilli powder, to taste
- Heat oven to 200°C.
- Place almonds on a baking sheet and roast in the oven for 6-8 minutes, turning them occasionally to ensure they roast evenly.
- Place the tahini into a medium-sized bowl and slowly add the oil, whisking it to ensure it is thoroughly blended.
- Add tamarind, black pepper and chilli and blend together thoroughly.
- Add lemon juice and honey, stirring together for a smooth consistency.
- Remove almonds from oven and allow to cool for a couple of minutes.
- Place almonds into a hand held blender or food processor and blend until they are loosely ground but not to a powder - put a small amount aside for decoration.
- Now add the wet mix into the blender with the almonds and blend for 10-15 seconds so all is mixed.
Serve in a small side bowl and garnish with the remaining ground almonds.
Serve with any fish, vegetable or meat dish also delicious with Chilli Prawns in Lettuce Cups
Gluten free | Dairy free | Yeast free | Sugar free | Egg free | Soy free