Chilli con carne
Chilli con carne
Simple and nourishing, this chilli is a fabulous winter warmer, freezes brilliantly and can be endlessly adapted to suit everyone’s taste.
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 medium red onions, finely chopped
- 1 clove garlic, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon chilli powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 500g minced beef
- 2 red peppers (capsicum), finely sliced
- 100g sun dried tomatoes in olive oil
- 1 fresh red chilli, deseeded
- 400g chopped tinned tomatoes
- 125ml water or stock
- 200g tinned red kidney beans, drained
- Pre-heat the oven to 150˚C if planning to finish the cooking off in the oven
- In an ovenproof pan, heat up the olive oil over a medium heat and gently sauté onions and garlic.
- Add all the spices and mix well.
- Add the mince to the pan, stir thoroughly and cook until slightly browned, then add the sliced red peppers.
- In a food processor blend the sun-dried tomatoes and fresh chilli into a paste and stir this into the mince.
- Next add and combine the tinned tomatoes, water or stock and kidney beans.
- Bring to the boil on the hob, then turn down to a simmer and cook for 1 hour stirring occasionally, or place the ovenproof pan into the oven for an hour.
Inspirations and top tips
- You can use any mince for this recipe (lamb and chicken work well) just adjust cooking times to suit
- Serve in corn tacos with some guacamole for a bit of Mexican flair
- Once cooked, stir in loosely chopped fresh green herbs (basil and/or oregano would be gorgeous) to add colour and freshness. Fresh chopped coriander would also be delicious