A simple lamb tagine with gentle flavors of Morocco. A warming hearty meal, easy to make and suitable for the whole family.
SERVES: 4-6 PREP TIME: 20 mins COOK TIME: 75 mins
- 10g dried apricots, sliced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 medium red onions, finely sliced
- 4 cloves garlic, crushed or finely sliced
- 1 tablespoon fresh parsley, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon fresh coriander, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon of mixed spices (ground turmeric, cumin, coriander, fennel seeds and star anise work well)
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- 1 kg lamb, cubed
- 50g flaked almonds
- Approximately 250 ml water
- Place the sliced apricots in a small bowl, cover with boiling water and set aside.
- In a large lidded frying pan heat the olive oil over a medium to low heat, add the onion and cook gently until soft.
- Add the garlic, ground spices and pepper and stir well.
- Add the lamb, almonds, soaked apricots (with their water) and cover for 10 minutes.
- Add the chopped coriander and parsley, setting aside a small amount for garnishing.
- Stir well, add water and cover again, letting the tagine simmer for approximately 50 minutes.
- Serve hot and garnish with the set aside herbs.
Inspiration and top tips
- If your frying pan doesn’t have a lid use aluminium foil instead
- To enhance the flavours leave the tagine to cool overnight and reheat
- To further tenderize the meat you can cook the tagine for longer over a lower heat