This lemon tart recipe is a great go to if dessert is needed – absolutely delicious, with a crunchy base and tangy lemony filling - it’ll be loved by all lemon dessert lovers! Add this one to your repertoire of gluten and dairy free desserts as it’s a showstopper.
- 1¼ cups (200g) gluten free plain flour
- 2 tablespoons tapioca flour
- 100g cold dairy free margarine
- 1 free range egg
- 1 teaspoon lemon or lime juice
- 1 lemon, zested
- ¼ cup hazelnut, almond or pecan meal (optional)
- 3 lemons, zested
- ¾ cup (190ml) lemon juice
- 2 free range eggs
- 2 egg yolks
- ¼ cup (60ml) maple syrup
- 1 cup (100g) almond meal
- 100ml gluten free almond milk /soy milk/dairy free cream substitute
- Pre heat oven to 180°C.
- Lightly grease a 24cm (or 8 individual 8cm x 2cm) loose-bottomed flan tin.
- Place flour in a bowl, add margarine and rub mix until it is crumbly.
- Whisk the egg, lemon juice and zest together and add to dough mix.
- Mix until the dough comes together in a ball - if the mixture is too wet add small quantities of flour.
- Roll out dough onto a floured surface to the shape of the tin.
- Transfer to the flan tin and press in with floured fingers.
- Trim edges with a knife.
- Place tin into the freezer for 15minutes.
- Remove from freezer and put in the oven to bake for 20 minutes.
- Remove from oven and allow to cool before filling.
- Pre heat oven to 190°C
- Place pre-baked flan shell onto a baking tray (this makes it easier to put it into the oven without spilling the mixture)
- Put the juice and lemon zest in a large bowl
- Add the whole eggs, egg yolks, maple syrup, almond meal and almond milk and whisk to combine
- Pour into pastry shell and bake for 20 minutes
Serve with herbal tea.
For a lighter filling add an extra egg and omit almond meal.