Rich with Indian flavour, this earthy, warming side dish transforms spinach and rocket into a filling and nourishing addition to any vegetable or protein meal.
- 8 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 teaspoons cumin seeds
- 1 green chilli pepper, seeded and diced
- 4 cloves garlic, chopped
- 4 teaspoons ground turmeric
- 500 grams chopped fresh spinach
- 500 grams of fresh rocket
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 3 whole cloves (omit if you don’t like cloves)
- In a large saucepan or wok, heat the olive oil, add the cumin seeds, chilli, garlic and turmeric and cook for a couple of minutes until fragrant.
- Stir in the chopped spinach and rocket a little at a time until all is added and wilted.
- Stir in the ground spices (and cloves if you are using them), cover, reduce heat and simmer for 30 minutes, checking and adding a tablespoon or so of water every 5-10 minutes if beginning to stick.
Inspirations and top tips
- For a smoother finish allow to cool and blend in a processor
- Can be made with just spinach or other greens to your taste
- Try making a soup with this as the base by adding water or almond milk