Feel like spicing up your life? This gluten and dairy free lamb curry recipe brings classic spinach leaves and lamb together with magical combinations of spices creating a nourishing flavoursome meal.
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 spring onions, finely sliced
- 4 sprigs of fresh or frozen curry leaves
- 350g spinach (fresh or frozen), finely sliced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon Garam Masala
- 2½ tablespoons Homemade gluten free curry powder
- 1 ¼ cups of water
- 1kg diced lamb shoulder or shoulder mince
- In a large deep frying pan, over a low heat, add the olive oil and cook the spring onions for 1 minute add the spinach and cook until softened, approximately 10 minutes (if using frozen spinach cook until some of the moisture has evaporated).
- In a separate bowl make a paste using the mince garlic, garam masala, 1 ½ tablespoons curry powder, and 1 tablespoon water.
- Turn up the heat under the frying pan to medium, add the paste, curry leaves and mix into the vegetables.
- Add the diced lamb and mix in thoroughly. Cook for a further 10 minutes, stirring occasionally to make sure it does not stick to the pan. If it does start to stick, add a little bit of water.
- At this point add remaining 1 tablespoon of curry powder.
- Add a cup of water, turn the heat down and simmer and cook for 1 hour until most of the water has reduced and curry has thickened
- Substantial enough to have on its own on its own or serve with your favourite salad or vegetable dish, store in the fridge for up to 3 days or freeze.
- This is a brilliant recipe if you want to use leftover lamb: follow points 1-3 and then add the already cooked lamb and simply let it warm through.
- If you have a slow cooker you can also adapt this recipe to suit.
- Substitute lamb with another favourite protein… chicken, prawns or tofu work well reduce cooking time as needed for the protein.